Monday, December 9, 2013

6 Weeks!

6w 0d completed
7th week of pregnancy

Fundal Height: This week (5w6d) I pushed up my uterus while laying on my back and drew an outline so I could show you the size of my 6 week uterus.

Measurements are: From left to right, (w) 9.5cm. In the front, from top to bottom (h) 6.5 cm. The straight line is from the fundus to the end of the cervix (l) 7cm. It's definitely bigger in the front and more rounded than it was last week. I don't know if this is how big it SHOULD be because there is really no decent guide, even in my obstetric textbooks, outlining size differences in a 6, 7, 8 etc week uterus. Most don't give decent average sizes until 12 weeks. 

The only book that says anything about it is my Williams Obstetrics text, which says 8 cm all around = 12 weeks.

My uterus is bigger than that across but it it is not at my fundus yet. I can palpate it abdominally if I press down slightly but certainly not too considerably.

Given that my uterus is enlarged, you can expect that I'll have increased in size marginally since organs have to go somewhere. It's only noticeable to me though so I just feel puffy.

Fetal Heart Tone: Not detectable.

Fetal Position: Not applicable.

Symptoms noted in the past week:

Increased Sense of Smell
Exhaustion
Nausea (minor)
Irritability (sporadic and controlled)
Nipples have changed color.

I've done a terrible thing.

I keep worrying about waking up to find I've lost the pregnancy. I'm glad I have 70 billion sticks for that but I'm still kind of nervous (and I'm NOT a nervous person). 
What if I do bleed? What if I stop growing? WHAT IF.

So I bought a doppler.

Dopplers are bad because they haven't been proven safe. They really shouldn't be used at home. They shouldn't be used routinely.

I'm not going to use it unless I start bleeding or am in intense pain or something. But I feel much calmer having it around. I just feel an intense amount of crunchy guilt even owning it. 
*slaps wrist*
Look it's pink.

Nipple and areola has also slightly changed size and shape. 
It's darkened a little bit. I'll probably take another at like 20w or so and again at like 36w. Or so.

Belly!
 
I do not like this puffiness.

I think I look better when I take off the pants and put on a non-maternity shirt for picture taking.

Fetal development!
Last week: neural tube closed, brain formed, some organs were started. Size: a grain of rice.

This week: small person will grow to the size of a blueberry. (Length, not fatness). It's working on brain, teeth buds, organ development, eyes, and appendages (arms and legs!) wheee!

4 comments:

  1. TYLER!!!! You know the doppler won't pick anything up until 10-12 weeks anyway! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DONT THINK I COULD PHYSICALLY BRING MYSELF TO USE IT BUT THERE IT IS BEING PINK AND EVIL

      Delete
  2. Not so crunchy, I know, but we found my son at 9w (same day as the u/s so we knew where he was) on that doppler and I'm fluffy :) Just gotta be patient and know where to search (but you know better than me). So if you get worried, you're not too far from being able to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is a fetal scope? Is it louder than a stethoscope?

    ReplyDelete